Faith Like Potatoes

As a new believer, I’m starting to pick up on the language and the concepts; and I’m even, to my surprise, beginning to quote Scripture. But what is the hardest for me is cultivating faith.

This comes, I imagine, from growing up with parents who were serious control freaks. It’s no wonder given their harsh upbringing. Both of my parents were raised by Jewish immigrant parents from Poland who trusted no one. I received that message loud and clear: only rely on myself and don’t make mistakes. In essence, be my own Higher Power.

Of course, perfection is impossible and has led me to become a bit of a control freak myself (okay. . . a big control freak!). However, trying to be perfect has been an exercise in futility. No one is without flaws; we aren’t meant to be.

I’ve been thinking a lot about control and surrender, and the struggle to let go and let God, as the expression goes. And I’ve been especially pondering this after seeing an exquisite movie, Faith Like Potatoes.

I found the film in, of all places, the remainder section at Staples. I assumed it would be sweet, though a bit saccharine. I was wrong; it’s actually one of the most stirring and beautiful movies I’ve ever seen.

Faith Like Potatoes is the the true story of a white farmer, Angus Buchan, who, against all odds, successfully grows potatoes, and other crops, in South Africa. He and his wife and their gaggle of kids flee Zambia after a number of racially motivated murders. They arrive in South Africa to find the same dangers there.

Frustrated, angry, and drinking to excess, Angus is at the end of his rope. Though a staunch atheist, he agrees to attend a church service, where he responds to God’s Word.

Not only does Angus’ newfound faith transform his outlook, but he becomes a fervent evangelist. He travels around Africa, Europe and the U.S. to bring people to God, but also to try to heal the racial divide. (Incidentally, there’s a fascinating documentary about the real family in the Special Features section, which shows footage of a huge, healing event Angus conducted for South African whites and blacks.)

To me, what is most evocative about the film is how Angus’ conversion made him place his trust unconditionally in God. Consequently, he takes all kinds of risks because he believes that God is guiding him. One such risk is growing potatoes during a severe drought, where farmers are even losing their hardier crops.

Angus grew the potatoes not just for food, but also to demonstrate the power of faith. When farmers mock him for trying something so foolhardy, Angus explains that potatoes, like God, requires belief; since potatoes are well hidden in the soil, one must trust that the elements are working their magic.

I would love to experience this unwavering faith, though it feels alien to my life story. I wonder: Is it possibly to cultivate the steadfast faith of a person like Angus Buchan? I suppose that even asking the question is a display of emerging faith. Because, deep down inside, in a place that I’m just finding access to, I realize that God has been leading me and carrying me all along.

I will say of the Lord, ”He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91:2

Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” Matthew 17:20

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Faith Like Potatoes

1. Belenus says:

Robin:

One of the most basic tenets of Taoism is the existence of duality:
    “We can only see good as good because there is evil.
    This is why having and not having arise together.
    Difficult and easy complement each other.
    Long and short give each other contrast.
    High and low require each other.
    Voice and music harmonize with each other.
    Front and back follow one another.”

What this implies is that the universe is one great and infinite balancing act from God and that everything and everybody “breaks even” in the end. What Jesus the Nazarene try to teach us is if you truly believe (i.e. start on the path) and eventually become “fully persuaded” (i.e. achieving true faith) – then, you will achieve true power to overcome the limitations of “duality” and “breaking even.” You will become a true inheritor of God, our Father.

2. Thursday says:

Very good article, Robin.

To throw in my own 2 cents, I found that my faith is easier to grasp and live as I remain mindful of my relationship with my Creator, that the package includes hope and charity as well. Prayer, and trying to remember that He is always present, helps me notice those little miracles where He chooses to remain anonymous, known as coincidences.

3. bonnie says:

Sometimes, Robin, your journey seems so similar to mine that I think I’m reading the story of my life over the last ten years.

I think we all struggle with “not having enough” faith, but I have had an especially hard time with it, even as I have seen His response in ways I never could have imagined. However, if you hang in there, you will be amazed. You will start to see “coincidences” that are just a little too coincidental, and the more you step out with Him, the more you will see.

One thing that I found was standing in my way was hiding my faith. Like you, those closest to me were atheists or agnostics. It was intimidating and frightening to step out of the “faith closet”. Eventually, however, it became more burdensome to hide than to acknowledge that I was one of those crazy Christians. Being open about my belief has started to free me to follow Him more closely. And standing up in front of several hundred people to be baptized wasn’t as weird & painful as I thought it would be!

My faith is still much smaller than that mustard seed, but it is still a seed. I just keep repeating, “Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.” Mark 9:24

4. WhiteBikerTrash says:

Robin,
    Faith is just one of the blooms that GOD gives us to cultivate. the trestle that holds it up is Gratitude! Thank GOD in all things!
    I have learned to thank GOD in all things, even things I don’t understand, don’t appreciate, or happen to think are :expletive deleted: Ummm, all messed up.
    I have found a peace in this practice. It started out at stop lights, I hated stop lights! I decided instead of getting upset at an inanimate object, to thank GOD for it and accept the gift offered to me by this stop. I have found in this, that only after I say and believe “Thank You” can I see and accept the gift so freely offered by my GOD.

Jack

5. lethargic says:

Hi Robin,
    The more you write about your blossoming faith, the more you remind me of another Christian convert, Jennifer Fulwiler, who blogs at http://www.conversiondiary.com. You might enjoy her site.

6. Robin, I am enjoying your posts about your walk with God. I’ve enjoyed your posts for a long time anyway, but am really appreciating your sharing your experiences with your new relationship with God.

Faith is the crux of it. Most of us, I know I do, struggle with that feeling of ‘not having enough’ or ‘how do I make my faith stronger.’ I am NO expert, but as a long-time Christian but with a recent decision to walk more closely with God, I am reading the Bible every day. I ask for more faith, I ask for that inner calm and peace that I think comes with more faith. But I’m realizing that it may simply take time to have that inner calm and peace on a more regular basis. The main thing is for me to not base my own faith on my FEELINGS, which can be deceiving. I simply tell myself, and God, “I trust you.” I believe that eventually the ‘feelings’ will catch up with my thoughts. I believe they will for you too.

I’d like to recommend a woman’s blog I recently found, at a time I particularly needed it. She had been writing this blog for quite a while, had many followers and friends, when right before Christmas of 2010 her family’s home burned to the ground. They literally lost everything. I found her blog just a few short days after that, and one of her first posts after the fire was a wonderful statement of faith.

I wish you the best Robin, and pray for you. We’re all here to help one another, whether we ever actually meet in person or not. Your posts help me, and I thank you for that.

7. NotGodinKy says:

Good morning Robin,
    I missed this article yesterday, but I want to encourage you in your quest.
    Here are some things that are useful to me:
    “Do not seek to understand that you might have faith; seek to have faith that you might understand.” ––St. Augustine
    I know that quote is old, but it has stood the test of time.
    When I was just a boy, my aunts tried to teach me to swim by carrying me out to deep water and letting me flail around. That really scared me. So it was that when I was 15 I still did not know how to swim. I took a Red Cross course that summer at the local pool and the thing that turned the trick for me was this:
    So long as I struggled to keep my head above water, I could not float on my back. As soon as I laid back enough to get my ears wet, the physics of buoyancy prevailed and my feet popped off the bottom. Knowing I could float on my back was what I needed to know to begin to learn swimming.
    I wish you well on your journey.

God is near,
    Marion

8. gk says:

Hmmm … “unwavering faith” … sounds like an ideal state. Most everyone I ever knew who professed “unwavering faith” were later found to possess a less ideal kinda faith, even the saints as far as I can tell. That was the point of the Judas Iscariot episode … after all … that we not become too infatuated with the idealisations of religious spin. I don’t mean that the Holy Book contains religious spin, not at all, I mean what we mere mortals say about our own religious nature, and what we say about the religious nature of other mere mortals can sometimes amount to a load of bs. A farmer farming potatoes is just a farmer farming potatoes, that’s all.

9. ripvanann says:

One would think that, between Robin’s awesome articles, and the great posts, I would have nothing else to add… Lo, and behold! I will not only will add, I will be long-winded to boot!

I’m hoping to see this movie very soon! The first thing I thought of when you said that you found this movie in Staples (“of all places”) is “I’ve never even heard of this movie, and I’m surrounded by Christians who are up to speed on Christian Media. Here is Robin, who “stumbles upon” this blessed movie… “in Berkley, of all places!” =) It’s the Lord. So cool.

One of the stories, that brings about great peace in my life… and consequently an all too frequent prayer of mine, is found in Mark 9:14-29. In short, a desperate father came to Jesus begging Him to heal his son of demon possession (which was causing all manner of physical illness as well as spiritual). The Lord asked the man if he believed that He could heal His son. The man’s reply is my daily prayer “I do believe; help my unbelief!”

“For it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” Phil. 2:13 This a difficult thing to grasp, that God gives us the will, and then He makes us act, to have faith in Him (or to do anything good). However, when we look at it as He has purposed it, it’s so simple, that we control freaks can’t get it for the paradigm we’re stuck in.

Faith like a child. Matt 18:3 “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” I could go on (“really, Rip, YOU could go on??”) with analogies here, but we need not look further than your article here, to see that children believe their parents! It’s only when we reach a certain age (much younger for some) that we realize our parents are fallible… and perhaps the wheels fall off for a time. Still, there’s always a desire to trust your parents. At any rate, we are blessed beyond measure, to have a Father that is not fallible. Much prayer. That was the answer that Jesus gave to His disciples as to how they could’ve cast out the demons from that little boy. Prayer is how our unbelief is helped. For me, most days much prayer means saying “I believe; help my unbelief!”… about six zillion times.

Peace and Blessings all,
    ~Rip

10. B_Boy says:

Robin, I think your experience and the things you’re wondering about are totally normal. Press in. Keep pressing in. Pray. Listen. Be still and listen. He knows you, and He knows every tear you’ve shed. No worries.

11. Wonder Valley says:

You need to pray for this farmer.
    Because when Mandela passes all Hell is going to break Loose in South Africa.
    Expect a blood bath.

12. Dear Ms. Robin

The author of The Book of Hebrews ( which many scholars believe was written by the Apostle Paul) contains a wonderful chapter. Chapter 11 in its entirety speaks on faith.

• Philip France says:

Dearest Robin and Doktor Von Zhades,

Please allow me to share the fruits of my studies.

The English words “believe/belief/believing” and the word “faith” that are found in our Bibles are both derived from the exact same Greek word: “pistis”. Is there a difference? Oh yes. But the difference has been largely determined by the English translators. These translators were admirable and served in service to their King but they were human beings, subject to (some) error and influenced by their religious bias.

Taking this same word, “pistis” and understanding it in English as having separate meanings requires understanding in context as well as what differentiates the two terms. I will explain this as I understand it as a result of my studies as such: “believe/belief/and believing” are a means to an end. “Faith” is the end in itself. It is the state of being fully persuaded (persuaded literally means “to be won by words”).

A careful study of the Book of Romans shows these words to be quite prominent, particularly in Chapter 10, verses 9 and 10. This is the recipe for the new Birth. If we believe (not ‘have faith’) in our heart that Jesus is the lord and God raised him from the dead we are saved. We are a new creation. We are children of God (hence the terms “new birth” and “born again”). We are Heirs of God and even JOINT-heirs with Christ (I didn’t write the book).

This is important: “Faith” – the state of being fully persuaded, was not possible until the life, ministry, death and resurrection of Christ Jesus, our Lord took place. Throughout the New Testament we see repeatedly “the ‘faith’ of Jesus Christ. Jesus, the Nazarene performed countless miracles and faced a horrible torture and humiliation (of which he was aware – based on his knowledge of Scripture from the book of Isaiah and elsewhere) and yet remained “fully persuaded” that his ministry and sacrifice was necessary.

As much as I love God, and I do and as much as I love the Scriptures, and I do – having spent about 8 years in deep study and another 20 years merely enjoying it – I have yet to reach the place of being “fully persuaded” but I am much closer than most of my contemporaries. How do I improve? Romans 10:17: “So then faith cometh by hearing; and hearing by the word of God”. Period. Keep hearing and one’s believing (the means to the end) becomes “faith” (the end in itself – the state of being fully persuaded). My friends, we have POWER over devils, over authorities, over the rulers of the darkness of this world. We can cause the lame to walk, we can cause the blind to see by their very touching the hem of our garments! Peter, John and Paul were no more special and no more important than you and I.

As to our dear friend Doktor Von Zhades, the 1st verse of Hebrews chapter 11, the word “faith” should have been translated “believing”. It was impossible for the great believers mentioned in the narrative to have “faith”, for “faith” had not yet come. Nor is it possible for Jews to have true “faith” (I say this with all due respect for my Jewish brethren, for whom I hold a deep admiration and understanding that the original promises of God still apply to them). “Faith – the state of being fully persuaded is not possible without the knowledge and understanding of our God that is made available through Christ Jesus, our risen and victorious Savior and Lord.

An additional tidbit of “insider information” – frequently throughout “The Gospels” (meaning the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John as well as the Book of Acts) you see our Lord portrayed as “Jesus of Nazareth”. The true translation is “Jesus the Nazarene”. Nazareth, at the time, was what we in modern day parlance, would consider a slum. You may have heard talk-radio megastar Rush Limbaugh refer to Rio Linda, California and Port St. Lucie, Florida in disparaging terminology. In much the same way, Christ Jesus, our Lord emerged from humble beginnings and from a similar “slum”.

As it were, he is our Savior and he is our Lord. In but a moment’s time, we will know him as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. We will know, as also we are known, that to him EVERY knee shall bow.

My dear friends, this is written (escrito esta if any Hispanic legal or illegal immigrants happen to subscribe to Robin’s blog). Every single prophesy of the Bible that could have been fulfilled HAS BEEN fulfilled – with both Scriptural and historical accuracy. God’s Word has never been found to be conclusively or even tangentially false on any given subject. In my own personal studies, I have found God’s Word to be magnificent; elegant beyond comparison; complex, and yet easy to be entreated (given the proper guidance) and 100% accurate: literally, historically, spiritually.

With love in Christ Jesus, our Living Lord and Savior,

Philip France

• jib says:

Philip

While it is certain that prior to Christ’s coming faith was not in Christ but that does not mean there was no faith but only that the object of faith was God the Father and believing in his promises.

As to Jews not being able to have true faith-Christ came first to the Jew and then to the gentile. If you look at Paul’s habit of entering new cities you will find that he ALWAYS went to the Jews first and only after going to the Jews did he ever witness to the gentiles of those cities. Jews who come to Christ do not cease being Jews-they are always Jews they are just believing Jews and part of the remnant of Jews that God has always had throughout the ages. Nor is God done with the Jews as a nation-not all prophecy has been fulfilled that could be fulfilled but that is a discussion for another time.

• Margie2 says:

“It was impossible for the great believers mentioned in the narrative to have “faith”, for “faith” had not yet come.”

Really?

“So you see that it is men of faith who are the sons of Abraham.
        And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the Gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “In you shall all the nations be blessed.”
        So then, those who are men of faith are blessed with Abraham who had faith, that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.” Gal 3:7-14.

And as to prior to His appearing on earth in the flesh and them not having their faith in Him, the Prophets indeed knew of and had faith in Christ~ that is who they prophesied of all throughout the Old Testament!

13. Walt Gottesman says:

Dear Robin,

The sincerity of your new-found faith in God is inspiring. Though I have professed faith for decades, I still feel the need to renew the newness often – daily, if possible. Your writings remind me of that. I also find encouragement from many of the comments posted in response to your articles.

Though I was raised by believing parents and grandparents, I drifted away from faith in my teenage years until God reached out to me when I was 22, in response to a desperate prayer, two weeks before I was drafted into the Army in 1967.

One of my favorite sayings is that of Col. Robert R. McCormick, former owner and publisher of the Chicago Tribune: “The nearer you are to the enemy the nearer you are to God.” There have been challenging moments in my life when God’s living presence has been immediate. That has strengthened me beyond what I thought was possible.

I’ve sometimes despaired that liberal relatives or former friends of mine will ever see the light, but your journey to faith, as you have written about it on-line, has given me hope for them. Many thanks!

Peace be with you

• River says:

Walt, your story is very inspiring. Sounds like you and I are about the same age, and followed a similar path in the ’60’s. I love this, “On most days though, I have to recall those dramatic times and keep faith even without feeling God’s immediate presence. I think that even saints and sages go through such phases. If they do, how much more likely that the rest of us believers will also go through ups and downs in our spiritual life.” Exactly true.

“The nearer you are to the enemy, the nearer you are to God.” Superb quote, especially for today.

14. Margie2 says:

Dear Robin,

Reading what you just wrote really made me so happy! Why? Because it is so encouraging seeing a “new born” Christian who is coming to know the Lord. You are the perfect example of what Jesus says in John 3:3~
    “Unless you are born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    In the original Greek it actually says, “Unless one is generated from above.”
    His Spirit is living inside of you and changing you from the inside out! This is wonderful and it’s such a joy to read your posts because they reflect the glory of God. Some may think that sounds crazy to say.. that you reflect His glory, but that is what you are actually doing, in truth. Glory has to do with reflecting or showing His nature and as a child of God, born of His Spirit you are showing so clearly the evidence of belonging to Him.

“But to all who received Him, who believed in His Name, He gave power to become children of God; who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.” Jn. 1:12 & 13.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound!

Robin, He sure is gently leading you.

“He will feed his flock like a shepherd, he will gather the lambs in his arms, he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.” Is. 40:11.

And I’ll never forget what another Christian man I once knew said to me with regard to Mt. 17:20. He said yes, how tiny is a mustard seed? It is so tiny, right? And Jesus said if we faith even that small we could command a mountain to be moved? Well then, isn’t it just the fact that you HAVE faith, no matter how big or small, the amazing thing!

He’s blessed you with all that you need. As you grow in Him, you’ll always come back to that.. more and more.

When I “got saved” back in ’75, I at the time used to refer to myself as an agnostic. Really, I knew Jesus was real. I knew that He really did die on the cross for me, but by the time I was 19 yrs. old, because of my own sin, I was becoming hard hearted and pushing Him away. He reached down from Heaven and rescued me and poured His love into my heart.. perhaps some day I can tell you my entire testimony.. but my point here is to tell you specifically one thing about faith that He did for me, and how it really works and it is this: the night I prayed and promised to follow Him for the rest of my life if He revealed Himself to me, I was given a little booklet about a woman who Jesus healed physically from like 14 different diseases, a modern day true miracle. When I began reading it, I doubted. By the time I finished reading it, I believed it 100%. How? Because the gift of faith that He put within me, knew it was real.. whether the faith I had inside of me was there from birth, and was sort of revived, or whether it was new starting then, I don’t know, but along with His Spirit that He gave me, I recognized His Hand in that woman’s life, and I knew it was real.

In the same way, as I started “drinking” the Bible.. reading it every day and praying to Him, I could see my faith growing more and more. It is amazing and a marvel, that when one is born of is Spirit, and just reads the Bible, his or her faith actually grows!
    What I say here is Biblical truth, and proven by this verse:

“So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ.” Rom. 10:17.

I too had a very controlling Mom. My Dad was present, but not emotionally. I know what you mean about trust. But everything we had in our lives before knowing Him, He allowed for a reason.. and every single thing He allowed we can now use to His glory, and also to help others. It’s good to be wary of mankind.. remember that Jesus was, too:

“..because He knew all men and needed no one to bear witness of man; for He Himself knew what was in man.” Jn. 2:25.

He’ll guide you always.. and in all things, by His Spirit. :^)

God bless you,
    Margie

15. shortmtw says:

Hi Robin,

Faith Like Potatoes was a wonderful movie. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post and your many insightful posts.

As you progress in your belief, remember that “it is God who is at work in you BOTH to will (to want to, to desire to, to commit to) and to act (to complete, to follow-up, to act upon) according to His good pleasure (Php 2:13)”. Many people, myself included, put the onus on themselves of doing God’s will, all the while forgetting that we received the Spirit by believing, not by what we did (see Galatians). We can’t can’t live by the Spirit by performing from our bodies. We need to do like Angus, if God directs us and we believe and are certain of His direction, we are then to show our belief by acting according to the directions we’ve received – beyond that we must trust God for the outcome from our actions carried out at His direction. That is what we see Angus doing in his own life. He planted the seed potatoes – God made them grow.

I think when we respond in faith (belief) we permit the Spirit to grow our little faith (belief). I love the words of the missionary/Olympian Eric Liddell, who said “when I run, I feel God’s pleasure”. A response of faith from our spirit to God’s Holy Spirit brings joy into our daily lives.

Blessings

16. raltnee67 says:

Robin, I believe faith is one of God’s many gifts to us. We are told that He gives varied gifts to a multitude of humans, not all receive the same gifts or the degree of power encapsuled in them. We need to ask God for these gifts, even as we witness others who seem to receive these gifts from birth. Previously, you were not ready for the gift of Faith, but you certainly have convinced this Christian that you are now an open vessel waiting for God to fill with all good things. Praise God for your conversion!

17. jib says:

I understand The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry is also quite good. You might check out movieguide.org as they do have a dvd review section and archive. nearly all of the Christian movies like Faith Like Potatoes are in the 4+ section. I have found their critiques of current films to be quite helpful although sometimes I disagree mildly with what they find potentially offensive.

18. jib says:

Robin
    what a blessing to read this post this morning. Yes, it is possible but for us control freaks it requires more effort I think. I would also note that unwavering faith comes via trials, hardship and pain or at least that is when one finds out that your faith is unwavering. To get to that point does require daily study of God’s word, feeding your inner spirit at a good solid church, talking to God daily. I just finished Ravi Zacharias’ book Has Christianity Failed You-and it has some great insights on why people lose faith and walk away from Christ. Always helpful to read about pitfalls before they happen! Quite a bit of the book is on a proper attitude toward what prayer is and isn’t since unanswered prayer seems to be the biggest reason that people walk away from the Faith.

I know I have suggested this before, but I really recommend Ariel Ministries program on Come and See. It is a free study program which will give you a good foundation in your walk with God. There are others out there equally as good but this one is also free and it’s hard to beat that.

19. tsadok40 says:

Robin,

I must say that I am enjoying hearing about your journey in faith. I can really identify with much of your writings, having grown up in the Bay Area myself. (Thankfully, not in the lion’s den of Berkeley.)

Please don’t be discouraged by the fact that you can’t see how you would be able to walk in the kind of faith that this movie so beautifully portrays. One of the more amazing aspects of faith is that it is a gift from God, not something that you can “work up.”

That is not to say that you shouldn’t be pressing in for more and more faith–you absolutely should. And it is good you are aware of your desire to control things, because that can stand in the way, and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have that tendency to one degree or another.

But when faith really kicks in, when you find yourself in a situation like Angus Buchan where you know you are doing the right thing, but you can’t see any possible way for things to work out; when even Christian friends are telling you that you have gone too far this time, but you know that you are supposed to continue–suddenly you will realize that you are walking in faith. You realize that you are at peace, when every intellectual tool you have says that you should be running away as fast as you can.

I believe that your faith will continue to grow. Thank you for sharing your journey.

Rick

20. rdean says:

P.S. If you want to “blow the doors off” don’t forget to tithe!! In His economy (although this isn’t just about finances), in His way of being and doing, there’s something supernatural and amazing about tithing which sort of “fast tracks” His working in our lives. I’m excited for you!
    Rdean

21. The Fair One says:

Thank you, Robin. This is just beautiful. It has been a pleasure and a privilege to share in your new found faith.

22. rdean says:

May I offer you some encouragement? Decide to be overt and throw out a fleece (Old Testament story). Doesn’t have to be BIG…just personal between you and Him. Place a request to him, thank Him for providing it, then keep your eye open for His manifestation. Mark it down someplace because over time you will forget. If you’ve thought life has been exciting buckle up dear sister, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Walking by Faith and spiritual warfare is soooo exciting 😉
    Rdean

23. River says:

Dear Robin,
    Though my journey began a long time ago and has produced much fruit in the form of miracles and insight for me and others, I still struggle occasionally to maintain faith in the face of the world’s waywardness and denial. A powerful current of atheism, anti-theism, and agnosticism envelops and pulls at us, but navigating it makes us stronger. Over time, faith develops a momentum of its own, and is easier to maintain. As the universe responds, validating and proving our faith, it takes root like an oak. Adversity is God’s gift to build us up and spur our growth into glory.

24. wodiej says:

I relate to your questions about faith. But I think most people stumble in this area when they are going through a difficult time. Especially now with people not just being out of work but for such a long length of time. It’s very discouraging. There are days when we will be angry with God because we feel he is not listening to us but he understands that.

I can say from past adversity that I wasn’t too pleased when I felt God had deserted me. But when I saw the result of such hardship, I understood he was just growing me for better things. He is testing me again as I lost my job a year ago right before I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree. I am in my 40’s and to work so hard to achieve this goal only to be unable to find a decent job is puzzling to say the least.

You are right-we aren’t perfect. God molds us every day in every situation and person we are part of.

25. wooster81 says:

Faith is like any other muscle that must be stretched, developed and exercised. It is a continual process to build faith. If you look at the context of the scripture you quoted from Matthew, Christ was speaking to his chosen 12. They had tried to cast out a devil unsuccessfully, and questioned why. Christ responded that it was because of their unbelief. Even they, who travelled in the presence of Jesus, lacked faith. Is it any wonder that we struggle?

The following comes from Richard G. Scott “The Transforming Power of Faith”:
    “When faith is properly understood and used, it has dramatically far-reaching effects. Such faith can transform an individual’s life from maudlin, common everyday activities to a symphony of joy and happiness….“Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith” (Ether 12:6). Thus, every time you try your faith…you will receive the confirming evidence of the Spirit. As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow.”

26. RonM says:

“However, trying to be perfect has been an exercise in futility.”

Eventually the soul reaches a point when it starts to realize that all the machinations of the ego are just silly games. Hence, the seeds of the ego’s destruction are built into it.

27. RonM says:

“Because, deep down inside, in a place that I’m just finding access to, I realize that God has been leading me and carrying me all along. ”

Yes. We have come down to duality, choosing to forget who we are, for the experience to remember who we truly are.

We are That, we have always been That, we will always be That.

Comments are closed.