See No Evil

American Thinker, January 14, 2011

One of the first books I read that made me hunger for God was, ironically, about His polar opposite. The book is Andrew Delbanco’s The Death of Satan: How Americans Have Lost the Sense of Evil.

The author describes the disastrous results of Americans rejecting the concept of evil. When Satan was alive and well, citizens practiced the Ten Commandments, atoned for their sins, and worried about eternal damnation. But today, inhabitants eschew the devil as an anachronism of days gone by.

And what has been the result of the Death of Satan? More bloodshed than ever before in the history of humankind. In the 20th century alone, hundreds of millions of people were murdered by genocidal regimes.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to See No Evil

1. Belenus says:

Robin:

Virtue is like a plant that has to be endlessly cultivated and maintained. Envy is like a wound that is allowed to fester until it becomes the foundation of an edifice of evil.

As the Keyser Söze character said in “The Usual Suspects” – ‘The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist. And like that, poof. He’s gone.’

2. perries says:

They hate and envy her virtue. But virtue is cultivated, and does not come to a person by accident of fortune. The haters would need to confront the truth within themselves in order to prepare the ground of their being for the work of cultivating virtue.

3. MayberryLady says:

Your piece is so spot-on it takes my breath away. The great tragedy here is that what Sarah Palin is most hated for can be summarized in two words: her goodness. On an existential level, it almost makes one weep! I have reminded myself of Ms. Palin’s toughness and resiliency many times over the past several days, and have comforted myself with the long view expressed in a favorite paragraph from Teilhard de Chardin: “ Of all things the most difficult to contain is the expansion of an idea. It is enough for the truth to appear just once, to a single mind. From that moment, nothing can stop it from spreading until it lights up the world. For whatever is truer will come to light and whatever is better will ultimately come into being.” This is what America’s Founding Fathers did for the world, and what Sarah Palin’s courage and example are reminding us of today. The bottom line is that no matter what the political outcome is, Sarah Palin has already won.

4. MayberryLady says:

Perhaps readers will indulge me another quote, which came to me out of the blue after logging off from my first comment. The sudden recollection startled me because it’s from a play I saw in the 60’s (“The Royal Hunt of the Sun,” about the conquest of the Incas by Spain) and I haven’t thought of the lines in decades. Perhaps its resurfacing after all these years is reflective of my struggles over many months to come up with a personally acceptable answer for the ugliness, depth, and violence of the hatred directed at Sarah Palin, which seems even more virulent since the tragedy in Arizona. I believe the lines were spoken by the elder Pizarro (who has lost his faith) to his younger colleague, DeSoto: “You are everything I have lost. I loathe the losing and I despise the keeping. How can a man live with two such hates?” It was riveting to me at the time and seems now to speak to a hitherto elusive component of the wellsprings of what to me is an otherwise inexplicable level of hatred.

5. bryangudmundson says:

Hello dearest Robin,
    I was surprised to learn a while ago from R.C. Sproul on his morning broadcast that the Encylopedia Britannica (sp?) considered Jonathan Edwards, the author of “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”, America’s premier intellectual, or something of that order.
    In other words, the British, our historical “Special Ally”, considered the man who wrote maybe one of the most frightening sermons preached to scare people into the hands of a loving God the smartest guy we have ever produced.
    It seems that you too have decided to declare those eternal truths, and may God continue to bless you, and us, with your courage in proclaiming them.
    (Thank you again for your advice for my daughter. I still can’t be grateful enough that you would have gone to that trouble).

6. American Wisdom says:

Excellent article. I have followed some of the comments about the events in Tucson on a handful of different websites. I am very disgusted with the tone coming from the left, especially toward Sarah Palin. When I read comments about how “Sarah Palin has blood on her hands”, my blood begins to boil. I had wondered why people would write such nasty comments, and now through what you have written here, I have a better understanding of the evil that permeates the ranks of certain political groups. This has become a game with these people, and as surely as it is a game, these people will lose when all is said and done. This behavior needs to be fearlessly confronted, and the left needs to understand that the rules of their game has now changed. No more ignoring them, or not answering their false charges. If someone like Barack Øbama brings his gun to a fight, then those in opposition need to bring their grenade launchers.

7. tuffone3 says:

God has shown Himself to Robin. She knows there is evil because she has seen the only One who is good.
    The children of darkness CANNOT comprehend the light.
    This is not a struggle between liberals and conservatives, it is a fight between God’s children and the children of the devil.
    That many christians do not believe in the devil is telling of the state of the church.
    Our opinions mean nothing and have little power over evil.
    Jesus spoke the scriptures to friends and enemies alike.
    It is the word of God that has life and the power to save to the uttermost.
    Speak Gods words in the face of every lie. Not the words of any mere mortal.
    Speak the truth in Love. Love speaks the truth without apology, explanation, caveat, addendum.
    Study Jesus. He is the example for us.

8. MikeTheMoose says:

Robin:
    This article really got me thinking about the nature of greater good and evil, and why they almost never tangibly manifest in the form higher power. I got to writing on that. But, I do have a good answer as to why liberals deny God. God made humans individuals which yearn for freedom, just as he made ants collectivists. If one accepts God, one must also accept that mankind’s individuality is not a mistake, not something that needs to be beaten out of him and overcome, but itself part of the image of God in which we were forged, accepted for what it is, and wherever possible harnessed. Such a world of free individual men and women, is not the world of the left, and so they must deny the superiority of God’s vision when he created mankind. Instead they must create a world without God, where all that is existence and life is mere coincidence, where there is no “plan”. In that way, all that makes us unique as persons can be attributed to an evolutionary inefficiency, an inefficiency that can be overcome with guidance from the proper gifted, learned, enlightened, segment of society along with some good old fashioned animalistic conditioning for those not lucky enough to be part of the former enlightened group.
    So in the end, they pay no reverence to the total message of God, using it only to argue their side when it suits them. Christ is a Socialist? We hear that often. Would he have supported using government coercion to force charitable acts? When I as a Citizen acting as a Governor of my country while using my vote, do I, when I force another though government coercion to give his earnings to what I deem are charitable causes, is it virtuous of me to force him this way? Is it virtuous of him to be charitable when forced? Does the charity when it reaches the needy reinforce a faith and dependence on God, or faith and dependence on government? Are all of the physical comforts in the world worth losing the voluntary virtue and faith of mankind?
    In the end, this world is only big enough for one God, and liberals are convinced they are it. Collective salvation exists not to save their soul, which they probably don’t even believe in, merely as a tool of religious manipulation, to get us to accept collectivism against the nature of our souls which we do believe in. Just a little mythology for the masses, to keep their superstitious selves in check. Nothing more than one more implement of control.

9. Excellent article Robin – thank you.

American’s need to hear more messages like this that emphasize the true nature of both good and evil as they are played out in the human drama. Over the last 50+ years churches and synagogues and their leaders have been increasingly marginalized by the popular culture from entering public discourse on social morals and mores. Politicians and government leaders have increasingly retreated to safe ground by not advocating religious admonitions or even ancient philosophical reasoning in response to social challenges. The educational system from kindergarten through the universities have cast off all anciently inspired guidelines for functional and moral living.

The spokespersons in the news and entertainment media are now the most vocal heralds of the morality they wish to see realized in society. For decades now they have inundated the American people with media of various forms from biased, selective news, movies, music, and video games that degrade moral sensibilities, God, religion, family and value for self and others, emphasized and glorified materialism, sex, violence, alcohol and drug use, the occult and oddly enough most recently witches, warlocks, vampires and zombies – what’s with that? And everyone is surprised that we are seeing images, values and behavior of such teraphim show up in our society? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teraphim What do we expect? Do other nations so deliberately degrade their themselves?

As the wise men and women of a number of reflective ancient cultures have left us record, what we humans dwell, think on and consume, we become.

We Americans are now in a place in history where we have no prominent, bold, outspoken leaders who will challenge us to remember history and anciently inspired moral precepts and principles. Maybe it is by Divine plan that reestablishing moral social order amongst ourselves has been given to We the People. Many of us know what Source and Standards to turn to regain our moral bearings.

A favorite quote by one of our Nation’s Founders who believed in the People and their ability to advance their own well being given the proper information:

” The most effectual means of preventing the perversion of power into tyranny are to illuminate, as far as practicable, the minds of the people. It is an insult to our citizens to question whether they are rational beings or not, and blasphemy against religion to suppose it cannot stand the test of truth and reason. Light and liberty go together. I look to the diffusion of light and education as the resource most to be relied on for ameliorating the condition, promoting the virtue, and advancing the happiness of man. Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day. If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity. ” – Thomas Jefferson

Keep up the good work.

A fellow social commentator at Legacy America http://www.legacy-america.net/

10. Aaron S says:

I really enjoy your commentary Robin. I look forward to reading your articles. We should all be praying for the protection of Sarah Palin and her family. I have qualms about Sarah as a possible Presidential candidate but I do admire Todd and Sarah who have worked hard to carve out a life, and I’d like to see them enjoy the fruits of their labors without having to endue the politics of personal destruction from the left. I pray daily from Psalm 144:11-15 that God would rescue and deliver this nation from foreigners whose mouths speak lying words and whose right hand is the right hand of falsehood and for the economy well-being of our people. Check it out. I believe you will see this Psalm is appropriate to what our nation is facing and I believe is the prayer of deliverance for our nation.

11. Macwell says:

If I may inject a thought; Jerry Rivers, aka Geraldo Rivera was lauded for his excellent work uncovering the abuse of institutionalized humans. He then went on to become very famous, and very rich. The problem which resulted, due to his zeal, was an overreaction. Many of the very people who needed the structure and discipline of such environments, psychotics, were viewed the same as the many people who simply had C.P., and didn’t need to be there. Some went on to halfway houses, many, on the street. The left, in their zeal to fix the problem, have relied on their (feelings), rather than facts, that, in itself, is simply stupid, not evil. The evil comes in when the same (left), when faced with the truth, refuse to change the system because it provided them with power and status. That is evil in it’s most disgusting face.
    One of the priorities in the next several years should be to reexamine our policies on mental illness in America. We the people must stop allowing the tail to wag the dog.

• Robin says:

Yes, and the overreaction continues. Now the Left wants to ban guns, Talk Radio, etc. — to exploit the tragedy. Overreaction works for them! It scares the masses, who don’t have the foggiest idea what’s going on. And the progressives have been able to force their agenda onto an unknowing public. Hopefully, the GOP won’t let them this time.

best,

Robin

12. Pinky says:

I like this article, and I’ve enjoyed reading your blog. I do have to give a word of warning, though: in your newfound discovery of the errors of liberalism, you’ve been doing some broad-brushing and demonizing yourself. Nothing turns away potential converts faster than being lumped in with the worst of their side. Remember that liberalism is a curable condition.

• River says:

Dear Pinky,
      I don’t see any “demonizing” or even “broad brushing”. Can you be more specific?

Robin is extremely fair and perceptive. She has it exactly right and doesn’t exaggerate, pontificate, or mince words. Up to 20001 I lived roughly where she lives, and can vouch for her truthfulness. It saddens me, though, that she’s too young to have experienced Berkeley when it was a splendid and magical place .

I was born in San Francisco in 1949, grew up in Marin County – across the Bay from Berkeley – and saw the Beatniks as a child. Those were the days when S.F. looked just as it does in the Hitchcock movie ‘Vertigo’. I became a long-haired flower child, hung out in the Haight-Ashbury and Golden Gate Park, and had a front row seat for the whole ascension and crash; from the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test at Longshoreman’s Hall, to the Summer of Love, to Altamont – the death knell – when some Hells Angels murdered a man for getting too close to Mick Jagger.

The S.F. Bay Area today is not like most places in America, and it’s been called ‘The People’s Republic of…” for years, and for good reason. It seems, like North Korea, to have a logic and life apart from reality.

• Pinky says:

I’ve lived in DC, so I also understand how a liberal culture can ruin a great city.

Robin says, “Yet by smearing an entire group of people, liberals become part of the evil themselves.” In that one sentence, she lumps her opponents together and labels them as evil – because her opponents lump people together and label them evil. She elsewhere accuses them of using “devilish” tactics.

Recent converts (political or religious) can have great insight into the old way of thinking. That’s something I really enjoy about Robin’s writing. But it can take a while to really integrate the new way of thinking, and I think it’s fair game to point out when Robin goes a little too rough on “them”. (Of course, it doesn’t help that liberals can sometimes act like caricatures of liberals, but part of that is just a veneer when they’re in an environment where everyone expects everyone else to be a liberal cliche.)

13. Brian says:

Medieval painters portrayed Satan as a dog biting its own tail.

14. Txpatriot says:

Excellent article Robin! I always look forward to your insights as it is obvious that your love and passion for the Lord enables you to speak truth very clearly . Your psychological expertise on the true motivations of fallen man and what makes him tick are very enlightening. I’ve learned a lot from your writings. I am thankful for your conversion to the Light and your courage to deal in truth and pray many more will soon call themselves ex-liberals too! Blessings to you…….keep up the good work of helping us out here understand and decipher the confusion that seems to be an everyday occurrence!

• River says:

So true, Txpatriot. “Nature abhors a vacuum” is a dictum of the scientific world, and it’s true. An empty vessel will be filled with something eventually. If we don’t act to fill our minds and hearts with good and wonderful things, we’re in danger of having them filled for us by others.

15. NotGodinKy says:

Truly critical thinking, Robin. Thank you for its exposition.
    One of my favorite sayings from Rush Limbaugh (who quite well may have gotten it elsewhere) is: “If you don’t believe in God, you will believe anything.” The problem for most elites is that there are explicit rules associated with a belief in God–rules of behavior that are the clearest expression of one’s belief in God. This is true of every religion I have studied.
    Elites are above the rules.
    I propose in my own writing that “Evil may be the result of actively denying the Grace of God, then responding to the soul-searing desperation that results from that denial.” It is hard for me to imagine doing anything evil while being aware of the Grace of God. It also is hard for me to imagine how dreadfully lonely it would be for me to NOT have the Grace of God in my life. That void, that emptiness, must, as a rule of nature, be filled some way.
    I think evil fills that void.
    God is near.
    Marion O.R.

• Aaron S says:

The quote is from G.K. Chesterton. The danger when men stop believing in God is not that they’ll believe in nothing, but that they’ll believe anything.

16. Countryman says:

I think the attitude about evil in American society may be more complicated. On the one hand, yes, there are many who have rejected or ignore the concept of evil – you see a lot of this in mainstream churches, where there is no mention of Satan in the sermons, and people comment about evildoers “I shouldn’t judge…” Then Flip Wilson popularized the ridicule toward those who would judge with “The devil made me do it,” along with the concept of the abdication of personal responsibility.

On the other hand, committed Progressives have not excised the concept of evil from their vocabulary – “the evil rich,” “evil conservatives,” etc. This usage may seem contradictory unless you realize that Progressives and their various Marxist cousins see themselves as gods, and all that are ideologically opposed to them are, by inference, devils.

Marxists of whatever stripe work toward an earthly heaven, a utopia here on earth, but not because they reject the notion of god. Take a walk down to your local bookstore in Berkeley and pick up a dog-eared copy of the Whole Earth Catalog if you don’t have one in your pad; look at the preface page: it says “We are as gods, and we might as well become good at it.” At least my copy does (from my days as a Yippie). Then there is the line in the song “Woodstock;” “We got to get ourselves back to the Garden.” This is in reference to the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and once eaten of the fruit, “became as gods like us.” Don’t forget the book by the Fabian Socialist H.G. Wells “Men Like Gods,” in which he describes a futuristic utopian society under a communist system.

Altogether though, Progressives don’t reject the concept of evil; what they reject in their moral relativism is objective Evil which stems from the realization of Absolute Truths. In their subjective world, evil is merely that which is in opposition to their subjective concept of what is good and right (freedom from want, equality of all, the government as the source of good, etc.). In their minds, they are gods, they are in charge, and they will punish the evil ones.

I must close by letting you know I appreciate all you have written; it has given me much food for thought, and I am the better for having read it. I, like one other commenter, urge you to write a book about your travels through life and your conversion. An anthropological narrative of Progressive culture is sorely needed. Imagine yourself as an anthropologist who has just returned from an extended field trip to La-La Land, and describe the customs, habits, religion, social structure, and general culture of the “natives” for us.

17. eltedo says:

There’s a madness to the left’s pinning this massacre in Arizona to Sarah Palin that has me almost physically ill. Ignorance, bias, even hate can’t explain the leap in logic and suspension of reason and decency needed to draw a connection between Sarah Palin and this killer. I feel like I’m getting a glimpse at what it must have been like living in Germany in the early 1930s. I hope I don’t sound glib making that comparison but I feel like we’ve crossed a dangerous line this time. Is there anything the left won’t do or say? Any limits? I don’t know if we’re being systematically desensitized, being set up for an American Reichstag or I’ve become paranoid but I don’t think any of us has a clue what’s in store for us the next couple of years.

• Robin says:

Eltedo,

I also have felt physically ill this week. For me, it has been the utter disgust and horror of witnessing unadulterated evil. Not only has the Left attacked Palin, but they have endangered her life. I read that the death threats on her has increased exponentially. Her church was torched during the primary, with children inside (she wasn’t there that day, and no one was hurt). And yet no one says a word. The fact that the Left can put her and Rush and all of us at risk says to me that what is going on is something uniquely disturbing and repulsive.

Robin

• 98ZJUSMC says:

I apologize for coming so late to this discussion.

You are not the only one and I believe your analogy is not too far off the mark. Nor is too glib to put forth. There are a great many radical progressives who fantasize about consigning conservatives to re-education camps and whole scale genocide against those who can not be indoctrinated and re-educated. Most of the media is too semi-literate to understand the depths of progressive depravity. Still, I believe that the left is going to reach a tipping point where they will have gone way too far and more and more former leftists will achieve the same blast of clarity that Robin achieved.

I think that time is approaching very quickly and it will get far more ugly than Tucson.

18. jonalan says:

Very good article Robin. Years ago a psychologist drew a triangle on a blackboard for me. The points of the triangle where occupied by three entities. A victim, a persecutor and a savior. Over the years I have observed this “drama triangulation” game being played by leftist politicians over and over. They are always the savior, the victim is either real or as defined by them and the persecutor is usualy a straw man again as defined by them. Apply this to the Tuscon tragedy and we have a perfect overlay. This time the straw man persecutor was every decent person in the USA including all those named by them. The savior was of course the leftists and tin this case the victem was handed to them.Before anyone laughs give this a test. Do mature adults play this game? No they do not.
    I firmly beleive the adversary is using these immature idiots to further his works of darkness. And I am very concerened with the openess, the fierce intensity and shear meanness of this last go around of gaming. In my mind there remains not a shred of doupt as to whom it is these leftists serve, they are slaves to the forces of darkness. They are fools.

• Mitch in Tucson says:

I work with a young man whose friends all attended the “memorial” here in Tucson. He told me they were all excited to see the President beforehand, and giddy afterwords, like a bunch of school girls panting after Justin Beiber.

These idiots VOTE! No wonder my city is turning into such a socialist Mecca: with a sheriff who is a big mouthed, dhimmicrat attack dog and shill; a city manager who sports a Che T-shirt in public and has a framed picture of Guevara in his office as do as his subordinates; city council which cuts funding to fire and police but gives tax dollars to radical groups who install water stations in the desert for the “undocumented immigrants;” county administrator who does nothing to sanction a county lawyer who incited and participated in a near riot of radical Drechos Humanos punks attacking and decapitating an effigy of Sheriff Joe Arpaio; a school board that supports La Raza’s divisive ethnic studies program in our classrooms, which turns happy, innocent children into anti-establishment, anti-American malcontents, filled with a false knowledge of history, and crippled by the belief that they’re “disenfranchised victims of the racist, white system.”

We are in trouble. Prayer for Tucson.

19. bookworm says:

Wasn’t it the Tree of Knowledge of Good AND Evil? You’re right: Libs are turning a blind eye to our very first “lesson.” To paraphrase a line in The Usual Suspects – The devil’s best deception was convincing the world he didn’t exist; but, then, the movie was paraphrasing Baudelaire. Guess there’s been a whole of deceived people for a long, long time. . .

20. Muushka says:

Robin, I have been reading your articles for about a year now. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate your insight on the issues that we face today. I too am a recovering liberal. I think that might make us a little more militant! With all that is going on, sometimes I think I am losing my mind. But then I read an article such as this and I realize just how far down that slippery slope we as a country have gone. And no, I am not losing it. Evil is evil and can present itself anyway it chooses.

As my friend used to say: Stand firm. Don’t squirm. No matter what they say, you are right.

21. kisimple says:

Dear Robin,
    As always I am so blessed with your articles, I too am an ex-liberal thanks be to Christ! Your article on mental illness really hit home as my sister has had severe paranoia and delusions for over 16 years. The laws that refuse treatment to someone who is incapable of consenting until they descend into such madness that they become a danger to themselves or someone else are no less cruel, and insane, than withholding medication that would wake a comatose patient until they first consent to treatment.
    But rather than lament the horror of the laws that ‘protect’ the mentally ill, I’ve come up with an idea that I’d like to run by you that might help speed up the process for some. As you know, doctors need to be able to treat the mentally ill with their consent but without waiting until they become a danger to themselves or others. I’ve often thought some sort of ‘Sanity Will’, modeled after the ‘Living Will’, might work. In a Living Will a person designates end of life issues should they become incapacitated, why not offer the mentally ill the ability to consent to treatment should they become incapacitated by a relapse?
    It seems to me that at least some patients would be lucid enough when medicated that they could legally sign such a document (perhaps a psychiatrist would also have to sign verifying their ‘soundness of mind’). The patient could state the terms that would initiate treatment should they relapse. For example, they might state that upon the testimony of 2-3 witnesses (they could even name who those witnesses would be: guardian, family members, co-workers, friends, etc) the courts would automatically order an evaluation. If the psychiatrist deems them to be psychotic, treatment could begin immediately because consent was acquired prior to the relapse. Such a document would not be revocable unless a psychiatrist verifies ‘soundness of mind’ at the time of revocation (if they could revoke it while psychotic the document would be worthless).
    Any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated – we need to start making it easier for the mentally ill to receive the treatment they need to truly protect them and others.

22. jib says:

great article by Dr Albert Mohler

Worldview and how it matters

• Philip France says:

I just read the article that you linked. You are correct – it is a great article. I encourage my fellow readers of Robin of Berkeley to imbibe it.

Thanks for the tip, jib.

23. YankeeMatt1 says:

My answer to the vitriol spewed out by the Left is reminiscent of the 1950′s “Have You No Shame”. Where is the toughtful insight to a seemlingly deranged individual where he and no one else is to blame. What a sophomoric denial by liberals into thinking that evil can be trivialized or ignored just because one says so. The leap of logic that compels one to see an horrendous act by a single person and then blame the conservative opposition such as The Tea Party or Sarah Palin is morally bankrupt, intellectually dishonest and dangerous to any society. God truimphs over evil, we can only truimph over evil with His help.
    I was appalled at the use of T-Shirts at a supposedly memorial service. Is there any shred of decency in Liberals anymore or have they become so entraped by the own false reality that they can’t see that they are doing more harm than good??

24. marthacarol says:

Thanks for your thoughts. I look forward to reading more!

“Though seeing, they do not see; Though hearing, they do not hear or understand.”
    Matt. 13:13

25. Deborah D says:

Sorry about the link to The Soviet Story, apparently, that is no longer working. They do have a website here: http://www.sovietstory.com/about-the-film/ . It was put together with European historians and eye-witnesses. Just FYI.

26. River says:

At the risk of sounding monotonous, I still have to say that you’ve knocked it out of the park again, Robin. Spot on; beautifully said; full of truth; your best yet, and that’s not an easy feat!

27. nance says:

Good article. Robin, would you consider in future articles a more indepth discussion of: 1) Democrats incessantly engaging in psychological “projection” as they scapegoat others, and 2) the role of liberals’ obsession with “political correctness” and how the resulting repression of normal human emotions may contribute, in pressure-cooker fashion, to the potential for violence?

28. oldwoman says:

Excellent article that tells it like it is! The rejection of evil in this country is evidenced by the very few people who go to Confession. I have been in therapy in the past, and I find that regular Confession is a better method for me. I do believe Satan is very much alive and well on planet earth!

29. Radarva says:

Robin,

Hard to say this but, I think this commentary is one of, if not your BEST. Glad you are now on OUR side!!

Radar in Va

30. Xenos says:

Progressives, who love to bask in the light of their shining pretensions, consider themselves ‘compassionate’. Concomitant with this notion is the belief that those who are not Progressives are unfeeling, pitiless barbarians and intellectual anachronisms, which is, in itself, a repudiation of their claim to compassion.
    The foundation of Progressivism is materialism, which posits that existence is explainable solely in material terms, with no accounting of spirit or consciousness. If human beings have no spirit or consciousness, then they have no value above other physical objects, such as rocks, trees, or fish. And if one does not recognize in other human beings a common and equal consciousness, then human beings can be reduced to impersonal things – indistinct members of classes, races, or some other subjective category. And human beings, reduced to nothing more than impersonal things, cannot be the objects of empathy, which is a necessary prerequisite to compassion. Thus Progressivism and its more noxious bedfellows, Fascism and Communism, are the antithesis of compassionate.
    To those on the Left, ideas have a more compelling reality than do their fellow men. And the ideas of the Left are held, by them, to be more advanced and scientific than those that are rooted in the dark, theistic past. Those on the Left are firmly convinced their belief system confers upon them a special intellectual status: the mere fact that they hold progressive ideas grants them intellectual superiority. And when self-annointed intellectual superiors, devoid of compassion, believe with a religious fervor that human beings are mere pawns of historical evolution, then those pawns may be ruthlessly sacrificed, in order to facilitate that evolution.
    The blame for the great genocides of the 20th Century lies firmly at the feet of the Left, whose philosophical inventions have proven to be the greatest evil this world has ever known.

31. Deborah D says:

Hey Robin — Thanks for this, once again, outstanding column. I always learn so much from you. After just recently watching a documentary titled The Soviet Story and how they were so similar to Hitler’s Germany, the evil aspect is totally clear and shows exactly where that type of thinking leads. Scapegoating is serious. “Blood libel” as used by Sarah Palin (and as affirmed by Alan Dershowitz) was more appropriate in these circumstances than I realized. If you’re interested in that documentary, you can find it here: http://frontpagemag.com/2010/12/27/the-soviet-story/

It’s amazing to me how close they were both philosophically and literally during the early parts of WWII and how the Soviets kept up their own death camps after. Chilling, really. Bless you and thank you again.

32. mnature says:

Robin, there is another concept of satan, which was illustrated quite well by Mark Twain in the story The Man Who Corrupted Hadleyburg. In that story, the part of satan is played by a man who had been offended by several of the residents of the town Hadleyburg. He decided to take revenge by exposing the leading citizens to a scam where they would be shown to be tempted to blatantly lie in order to gain wealth. The town motto was originally “lead us not into temptation”. After the public ordeal of their leading citizens exposed as opportunistic and greedy, the town changed their motto to “lead us into temptation”.

That is, we do not understand our own selves unless we are put under a trial of our morals. Easy to say we are faithful in marriage, if we never have been given an opportunity to be unfaithful. Easy to never have stolen, if we have never received something that wasn’t ours to keep. Thus, satan as the temptor is actually doing us a favor, by allowing us an opportunity to strengthen our resolve towards good. Just as a muscle will waste away if never exercised or stressed, so will our morality waste away if not tested or tempted.

• tuffone3 says:

I don’t think the tempter is doing us any favors. The scriptures declare that offenses must surely come…… but woe unto them by whom they come.

I don’t really need to taste a particular sin to comprehend that it is bad and wrong. God tests our faith and the devil tempts our resolve.

33. jib says:

great article Robin. as I said-sin is so two centuries ago. so is personal accountability btw.

34. msdubya says:

Robin, again you’ve nailed it. Liberals have been blinded to the truth for so long they could not even see it with someone else’s eyes. They purposefully shun any semblance of truth in furtherance of their own liberal goals. What a pity! And what a pity that many conservatives will be excoriated in the process.

35. WhiteBikerTrash says:

Robin, How are you this fine morning? Now onto the issues. The reaction of the left was the most egregious and disconnected from reality I have ever seen. And using their same “Logic” this event could be laid at their door. The hate from the left was being shown about this Representatives vote against Pelosi’s placement as Minority leader and could it be as a “Blue Dog” her vote might change on Obama care? And the need to keep a Democrat from wandering from the flock?
    Next, in your article you mentioned the possibility of “Brain Damage” to the sick young man that perpetrated this heinous action. Having been the recipient of a T.B.I. I am offended, and I am sure that when Gabrielle Giffords recovers from hers, she will be too! To place this sad, sick person in the same category as myself hurts me and all others who have been beaten on, or about the head! Have a great day! As will I!!

• raltnee67 says:

WBT, I have been following Robin for quite some time, and I believe she meant no offense. Lumping mental illness, brain damage and serious drug abuse together may not be the best way of defining the problem. I personally believe that allowing the Devil a foothold in your life, combined with enough drugs, WILL result in brain damage. This is entirely separate from traumatic blows to the head, which, as an aside, might help liberals. (must keep some sense of humor!, besides, there are many uses for 2″x4″s.) I am in 100% agreement with Robin on her basic argument. We can seek God and keep Him ever foremost in our hearts and minds, or we can choose to allow Lucifer in, and take our chances as to the results. Those filling their minds with crap from Marx and Hitler shouldn’t surprise anyone with their evil behavior. Our best weapon is prayer and the truth spoken clearly without fear of consequences.

• Robin says:

Hello, WBT,

Sorry, if I offended you. I didn’t mean to. I was just offering all of the possibilities of how someone could commit such a horrendous crime: and the list included mental illness, head injury, drugs, alcohol. However, most people who have had head injuries are not violent, and this is also the case with people who have psychiatric illnesses, and even those who use drugs and alcohol. It may actually be that a combination of all of the above gives one a higher risk of violence. For Jared Loughner, he appeared to have mental illness, as well as drug use, and also possibly devil worship.

I was actually on the Rusty Humphreys show last night, Thursday, and explained this. I stated that people with psychiatric problems, for instance, are more often victimized on the mean streets, than the perpetuators.

Of course, that’s the problem with writing, which can lead to quick generalizations.

So, you are right, most people with TBI’s are not violent, and I didn’t mean to imply that. I apologize if I hurt or offended you.

best,

Robin

36. rdean says:

Man oh man Robin,
    I continue to shake my head as I read your insights. You are a quick learner. With every essay you write I’m more encouraged to pray for Bill M, Jon S and many of the others who are on tv and being used by Satan to poison our country.
    Rdean

37. anr613 says:

Great article, Robin. Am a long-time fan and only now jumping into the comment fray. Yes, it scares me that my left-leaning friends and relatives seem to lose their ability to distinguish good from evil when they forsake God in their lives. I find myself praying more and more to help them open their eyes to what is going on, and asking for guidance at what I can do to help. Very much appreciate your example and your writings. They help tremendously. Keep up the good fight!

38. Every Thought Captive says:

I’m always amazed to see how the enemy hides in plain sight, leaving clues for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. Astonishing that Alinsky openly dedicated his book to his master, though. Even more astonishing that I’ve never read this anywhere else.

• Robin says:

Yes, it is shocking that Saul Alinsky dedicated Rules for Radicals to Lucifer. I read online that the dedication was removed early on; but then I heard from readers who bought the book recently, and said the dedication was still there. So I don’t know the status. But it said the following:

Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins — or which is which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer

best,

Robin

• raltnee67 says:

At least he admits he cannot differentiate myth from history. Not knowing truth from lies and not learning from history are hallmarks of a liberal’s worldview. Robin, you will also be targeted like Sarah and Rush, simply for telling the truth. You, however, are more of a threat because your conversion is real and you are unafraid. You know things the Enemy is apoplectic about. Watch your back, and keep on plugging! I have always loved Scott Peck’s insightful writings, will check out Delbanco. Thanks for your mighty witness!

• Philip France says:

Dearest Robin,

Yes, the dedication is still in there. I read this evil work about six months ago. Reading it made me sick to my stomach. Saul Alinsky was an evil genius who clearly understood both good and evil. He chose evil. Great article.

Your friend,

Philip

39. Hosquatch says:

Another fine article, Robin, full of truth and wisdom.

I am constantly amazed that those who are not “believers” cannot detect, sense, recognize or identify EVIL ( or Truth ) and, by extension, PERIL. It is as if their “evil warning receptors” do not work. And, spiritually speaking, the Scriptures say this is so…

“The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” ( 2 Thess 2: 9-12, ESV )

Sadly, it seems that the majority of the American public is so afflicted. The Liberals, certainly. The Apathetic and Unaware, mostly. It seems that only among the Conservative movement is there a strong ability to differentiate between good and evil, and there is a strong overlap of this group with the “community of faith”. This is a big reason why honoring God matters… and, conversely, why not honoring God leads to depravity. As our love and respect for God goes, so goes our nation.

40. Poor Richard says:

This must have been a difficult article for you to write, Robin. You’ve experienced both sides and I applaud your honesty. You are helping reveal the Light of Truth to others who have been misled, and that is what matters.

41. Pingback: Robin of Berkeley:"See no Evil" | Holeinthehull

42. John Chavous says:

Sorry. I made a mistake on the last post. Please edit it for me.

The greatest lie the Devil ever told was when he convinced the world he didn’t exist.

43. taraman says:

What a great way to show how liberals view the world. And I thought Slick Willie invented blaming your opponents for the bad stuff you are doing.

44. clarissa says:

You’re so right, Robin. The starting point behind the thinking of many liberals/progressives/democrats is that there is no God or Satan ; all decision-making and reasoning must be done under this premise Sadly, they are not afraid to use God to sell their ideas to those who do believe in Him (i.e. Jeremiah Wright), and many Christians are deceived by their rhetoric and vote for these ungodly people and policies.

Romans 1:18-32 explains it all, and can be summed up by the last few verses: “They (men who suppress the truth, v 18) have become filled w/every kind of wickedness, evil, greed, and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant, and boastful. They invent ways of doing evil…they are senseless, faithless, heartless, and ruthless. Altho they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these things but also approve of those who practice them.”

45. paulb says:

Christianity has always been about the conflict between good and evil but equally, in my opinion, about the struggle between God and politicians who would prefer that there would be no competition for the loyalties of their ‘subjects’. It is my belief that the 20th century was the century of creeping secularization, where we tossed the law of God in favor of the laws of man. We’ve tipped the balance in favor of the tyrannies with the loudest voices.

Secularization is like a fetid green ooze that seeps into every vacated niche of our beliefs.

46. jim says:

Good article. I thought those in your trade abandoned evil as a root cause. There are people who are evil and they have yet to harm anybody physically.

47. preacher59 says:

This is one of the finest pieces you have written. It connects authors and ideas of long standing with which I am familiar. I have worried a bit that in your transformation you were becoming too ethereal. This sounds very down to earth to me based on psychological and theological reality that I understand and accept. Thank you.

48. JohnGuise says:

Robin, another excellent article. We’ve discussed this before. Current research exists that our brains are not fully developed until about the age of 25. It has been reported that Loughner “experimented” with mind-altering drugs. Did this combination of abuse and development permanently alter his behavior and thought processes? How much of our population since the 60s are “walking wounded” by going through the same sequence of events during ages 15 and 25? Many of those are now in positions of leadership, especially in California. I suggest you may consider a follow-up article.

49. tennismom says:

Robin, you dare to say the things that need to be said, that no one else in the mediasphere seems to be saying.

I’m afraid more tragedies will have to happen before the Left wakes up to what they have brought about. I don’t mean more shootings, necessarily, but misfortunes brought about by their own insane policies, like massive food/energy inflation or civil unrest or martial law, or all three.

In the meantime, liberals I know seem to be in a sort of reality-denying trance. If anyone brings up politics, they immediately start making fun of Palin, or making fun of ‘the Republicans’ or making fun of ‘Christians’ (as happened at my Thanksgiving dinner table) or making fun of ‘people who criticize the government’ or making fun of me for daring to mention ‘politics’ as one of those who’s ruining ‘the discourse’ . . . meaning there is no discourse, no exchange of ideas about what’s going on in the world, no chance to say ‘this is wrong’. They live in a bubble where truth dare not enter. One day, events are going to happen that break that bubble.

50. Mitch in Tucson says:

You reap what you sow. Unless you’re a childish liberal, in which case the bad “harvest” must be someone else’s fault.

51. vach says:

Robin, I’ve been reading your articles for…actually I think I’ve read them all, but I really look forward to your work and find they possess a very special insight. May I suggest you write a book about your spiritual and political odyssey? I find this a fascinating transformation considering your vocation and geography. God bless you and thank you.

• Philip France says:

I second that motion. A book by Robin about this subject would be a blockbuster. Sign me up!

52. milodoctor says:

Robin,
    I have read you for some time and really appreciate your insight and thank God that you have seen the light on liberalism. I had been VERY upset by the visceral hatred thrown at Sarah Palin and, in my mind, conjured up an image of gang rape – “wilding” really. I sent off an email to Glenn Reynolds trying to describe my feelings about this and wondering if anyone had written about this aspect of the attack on Mrs. Palin. I should have just done a search. I noticed tonight that you had written about this slightly over a year ago. I may have even read it and retained the imagery in my mind. I appreciate how you have nailed the left on this and wonder if this most recent series of accusations brings that image up for you again as well. Mostly, I appreciate your writings that are so clear about your own feelings including about your “conversion”.